Monday, February 25, 2013

Clay Dragons Grade 1

Birch Meadow First Graders in Mrs. Beckman's class made clay dragons.  I got the lesson from Rina's K-6 Art Blog.  I thought it would be a different experience from my usual first grade pinch pot lesson. 

I was kind of not as much fun as I had thought they would be! Many dragon's broke in half and had me gluing things together for hours after school! I made the dragons with humps by having the kids roll out a thick coil and draping it over a T.P. tube.  Despite my displeasure super gluing together dragons and my fingers (that is an annual thing), they did end up looking really cool, and the kids were really excited to get them back.   

I have not yet gotten around to the other 2 classes (Mrs. Piazza and Mrs. Davie...sorry friends!!) doing a clay project yet.  Their art classes run on Mondays and for some reason, my Monday friends have less classes than any other day of the week ( Monday holidays, snow days, vacation weeks, etc.). 

I think I will have them make the S and the C shapes that Rina talked about in her blog. 

Here is a picture:

fired and glazed dragons

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Erb

    I am glad your students enjoyed the project, but am so sorry you had to stay after school gluing :( Although the rainbow looks so cool, the 'C' and 'S' shapes are definitely easier.

    I just did clay class this afternoon and tried a new way of handling glaze I learned about on the art of ed. Here is the link:
    http://www.theartofed.com/2013/01/25/making-glazing-work-for-a-large-group/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rina...The only thing that got me was the gluing...otherwise, the kids really enjoyed them especially when they came out of the kiln and they got them back. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. Dragons are always a hit aren't they? I find I have better success with loosely rolled newspaper rather than a cardboard tube - the newspaper allows for the shrinkage of the clay, so far less breakages! :) Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanka for the tip, Elizabeth. Next time, I think I will try that! I still have 2 more classes to go. I think I will give it a go and try it out.

      Delete