Wednesday, April 25, 2012

First Grade-Architecture

Students at BMS and WES are working on architecture.  We studied the buildings of Russia and were intrigued by the shapes of the buildings.  I've adapted this lesson from "Art Projects for Kids".  Click on the link here to see the lesson. We looked at St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, Russia. We talked about the different things that we noticed about the building like the domes at the top, the different patterns and all of the details on the buildings. We then started to draw. We began by drawing in pencil.  Each child was required to have at least 4 domes on their building and include patterns in their work.  We then outlined our work with a black felt tipped pen, and began using colored pencils to add color.  In the past I've painted and used oil pastel, but this time I wanted to use colored pencil.  We hardly ever use them and the kids really enjoy them when I take them out.  I showed them how to create dark and light values, and how to blend colors together.  I know these are unfinished, but here are a few pieces to show off my amazing first grade artists!

By Carter

By Eniyah

By Drew


No comments:

Post a Comment